MARISA PRATT RIGGINS joined Indiana University in April 2011 as Executive Financial and Operations Officer. She has over 20 years experience in progressive Financial leadership roles with a Fortune 100 Pharmaceutical company with proven expertise in leading Business, Strategic and Financial Planning, Analysis, and Reporting. Astute, performance-driven, business strategist highly accomplished in successfully managing business development, product development projects, and marketing initiatives to achieve multimillion dollar revenue streams for maximum ROI. Articulate communicator with strong negotiations and presentation talents, skilled in forging strategic relationships.
- Prior member of Board of Directors & Audit Committee for a NASDAQ company for over seven years.
- Delivered unplanned Business Unit Contribution of $10M, for two consecutive years while CFO for Lilly Canada.
- Led efforts to reduce Research and Development spending by $150M, to deliver on plan performance.
Progressive Financial leadership roles with a Fortune 100 Pharmaceutical company with proven expertise in leading Business, Strategic and Financial Planning, Analysis, and Reporting. Astute, performance-driven, business strategist highly accomplished in successfully managing business development, product development projects, and marketing initiatives to achieve multimillion dollar revenue streams for maximum ROI. Articulate communicator with strong negotiation and presentation talents, skilled in forging strategic relationships. Experience managing a Clinical Grants Office and grant accounting practices.
- Served on Board of Directors & Audit Committee for a NASDAQ company for seven years.
- Delivered unplanned Business Unit Contribution of $10M, two consecutive years as CFO, Lilly Canada.
- Led effort to reduce Research and Development spending by $150M, to deliver on plan performance.
- Strategic & Tactical Planning
- Business Planning & Development
- Grant Accounting
- Contract Negotiations & Management
- Financial / Sales Performance Reporting
- Financial Analysis
- Project Management
- Profit Building
- Team Building
- Business Partnering
- P&L Accountability
- Budget Development & Administration
- Cost Reduction
INDIANA UNIVERSITY, Bloomington, IN 2011—Current
Executive Financial and Operations Officer, Vice President of Research
Serve as the Chief Financial and Operations Officer for the Office of the Vice President for Research with authority to act on behalf of the Vice President on a comprehensive range of financial matters.
HIS—INSIGHT, Lexington, MA 2009—2010
Senior Director, Global Finance
Led all financial planning, forecasting and budgeting activities of the Insight companies, to deliver exceptional financial returns for a growing and expanding organization.
ELI LILLY AND COMPANY, Indianapolis, IN 1991—2009
Director of Finance, Lilly Research Labs (LRL) 2006—2009
Led all Planning (operational and strategic), Forecasting, Consolidations, and Reporting for Lilly’s Corporate R&D budget. Managing a budget of $3B and a staff of 19 employees. Developed and implemented functional targets to deliver on plan performance and drive productivity improvements year-over-year of at least 5%. Established cost control guidelines to effectively manage discretionary spending and free up spending to maximize the Portfolio pipeline. Aligned spending with Portfolio priorities to ensure the pipeline remained full and flowing.
- Led LRL’s Business Plan and forecast exercise, established targets, and facilitated prioritization and trade-offs, including ownership of pan-LRL planning processes.
- Delivered productivity and infrastructure goals, producing $150M in savings and improving Fixed / Variable ratio by 10% year-over-year.
ELI LILLY CANADA INC., Toronto, Ontario 2002—2006
Vice President—Finance and Corporate Services
Provided strategic management guidance and leadership to Eli Lilly Canada. Lilly Canada has over 700 employees with annual sales of $400M USD, and Operating Expenses of $100M USD, annually.
Directed all P&L responsibility and charged with ensuing the organization delivered on plan (business unit contribution). Managed a staff of over 55 employees with functional responsibility for Finance, IT, Supply Chain, Distribution, and Facilities and served as a strategic business partner to the General Manager.
- Optimized business performance by establishing new payment terms with wholesalers, adjusting early pay discount and returns policy to deliver $5M in additional business unit contribution.
- Implemented shared service agreement for disbursements, resulting in staff reduction of 20%.
Product Teams, Director of Finance, Indianapolis, IN 1999—2002
Led staff of twenty managers, analysts, and assistants, and provided staffing metrics, performance reviews, succession planning, and career development. Formulated and implemented management priorities and direction to guide financial support for the Product Team organization, comprised of four product groups, 20 teams, 1,000 people, and $500M in annual expense.
Developed a Strategic Roadmap for Product Team Investments, providing a framework for evaluating project proposals and making trade-off decisions. Effectively communicated the Product Phase strategy to senior management, utilizing portfolio management data.
- Led a zero based assessment of Product Team marketing investments, recommending a structure to align roles and responsibilities between geographies, teams, and functions. Provided an assessment of the appropriate spend level for Product teams based on stage in development.
- Led the IU Recruiting team for three years, attracting diverse leadership talent to the organization. In addition, led a team focused on improving Reward and Recognition in the Financial Component, and implemented the Global CFO Award. Actively mentored several financial associates.
Neuroscience Product Teams, Manager of Finance 1998—1999
Provided business and financial support to the five Product Teams of the Neuroscience division (planning, accounting, and reporting). Directly supervised four Financial Analysts (MBA) and charged with Financial Valuations of new chemical entities, as well as new indications.
- Implemented a trade-off tool that was successfully used R&D investment decisions as part of the new products portfolio review.
- Managed a joint venture relationship with ICOS (Developed strategy, reporting, and audit of annual JV results).
Lilly Research Labs, Manager of Financial Analysis 1995—1998
Managed a staff of 10 analysts and an assistant; additionally directed recruiting and hiring, performance review, and implementation of development plans. Provided business and financial guidance to the Global Clinical Research and Heavy weight Team organizations.
- Operated as a business partner to support customer needs, business development analyses, financial due diligence, and the effective review of contacts.
- Operations responsibility for the Clinical Grants office; payment and process administration for worldwide clinical grant activity in excess of $180M annually.
Master of Business Administration, Finance Indiana University, Bloomington IN
Recipient of Consortium for Graduate Study in Management Fellowship
Indiana University Black MBA Association, Vice President—Finance
Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering University of Wisconsin, Madison WI
Trader’s Point Christian Church—Pre-School Ministry 2010—Current
Brightpoint Corporation—Board of Directors—Audit Committee 2003—2011
Indiana Life Sciences Academy East—Board of Directors 2007—2009